Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Banana Splits Made out of Cake Balls

I saw these candy cup molds from Wilton at Walmart the other day.  I stood there staring at them for a long time, thinking but left the store without them.  Late that night when I was laying in bed it came to me - these little candy cups were similar to a boat shape and would look so cute as banana splits.


So....I was back at Walmart the next day to get them. 

I began the whole process by baking cakes from cake mixes.  I made a strawberry cake, a white cake, and a chocolate cake, each in a 9 x 12 glass cake pan.  I allowed the cakes to cool then crumbled the strawberry cake into fine pieces and mixed it with 3/4 of a can of cream cheese frosting.  Then using a melon baller, I scooped the cake/frosting mix out and shaped them into small, golf ball size balls. I repeated this process with the white cake and again with the chocolate cake.  However, I mixed the chocolate cake with 3/4 cup of peanut butter instead of frosting.  I put the balls on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and stuck them in the refrigerator so they would get a little more firm and manageable. (This makes A LOT of cake balls.  You will have enough for a couple of parties, I think!  Luckily, they freeze well!)


 I used the Wilton dark cocoa candy melts and melted them in a glass container in the microwave, stirring until smooth.  I then spooned some into the candy mold.  The mold comes in two parts - one a little smaller than the other.  The directions on the back of the package tell you to melt the chocolate in the larger mold and then push the smaller mold inside.  The molds have little round joints in them that allow you to click the two pieces together to hold them firmly.  I followed the directions, then stuck it in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour.

While I was hardening the candy cups, I melted pink Wilton candy melts in a glass container and stirred until smooth.  I then dipped the strawberry cake balls into the pink melted candy and made sure they were completely covered.  I did the same with the white cake balls (with white candy melts) and chocolate cake balls (with dark cocoa candy melts.)  I then put each onto wax paper again to allow the candy shell to harden a bit.  When the white candy balls were still soft, I added a cinnamon imperial to the top (to look like a cherry.)

The next step was to remove the chocolate boat bowl from the freezer.  I carefully removed the little bowl and trimmed off the excess chocolate that had frozen along the edge.  I cut a banana in half and then cut the half in half the long way and placed the two pieces into the chocolate boat.  I then added the pink, white, and chocolate cake balls to represent strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate scoops of ice cream.  And there you have it! Isn't it darling?



This is quite a lot of cake and candy in one little treat but oh, so cute!  I think these would be a fun little April Fool's day dessert for your loved ones!  They would also be cute for a party with a "sweets" theme or an indoor summery picnic in the middle of winter.  Do you have any other ideas?







*Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway to win a beautiful necklace from the Jubilee Jewelry Etsy shop.  Click here to find out more.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, these are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought they turned out pretty cute too and my husband says they are yummy! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Those are amazing!! Very Cute! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! This turned out SUPER CUTE! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine's Day!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever & delicious-looking. Thanks so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete