Saturday, February 25, 2012

Class of 2012 Glass Pendant Tutorial

My husband and I are both teachers and we receive LOTS of graduation open house invitations every spring for former students.  I like to take a gift for all of them, but don't want to spend a lot on graduation gifts every spring.  I decided to make Class of 2012 necklaces for the girl graduates.

I used the following materials to make the pendant:


-a piece of white cardstock with Class of 2012 printed on it in our school color (maroon.)
-a glass disc
-a medium sized bail
-E-6000 adhesive
-an X-Acto knife


E-6000 is a very strong adhesive gel that is available at
many retailers, including WalMart (about $3.00).

Text printed on cardstock.

Bail
Glass Disc
Squirt some of the E-6000 on the back of the glass disc.



Press the glass disc down on top of the cardstock and center it over the text.
You will need to apply pressure every so often to make sure there are no air bubbles between the glass and cardstock.

When it dries, use the X-Acto knife to trim the paper around the disc.  Turn it over and glue the bail on the back.  Make sure it is centered where you want it.

I put it on an organza ribbon cord necklace and added a couple of coordinating beads.

Here is a similar idea...

I did the same process but used a wallet size picture of my son rather than the printed cardstock.
It worked just fine to use the E-6000 adhesive right on the picture.  Again, I had to apply pressure to get all the air bubbles out as it was drying.  I think it turned out pretty cute!


You can get the supplies from this Etsy shop, Willow Run Crafts. This shop has very reasonable prices and they ship out very quickly.   I have also gotten similar necklace making supplies at Hobby Lobby.  The beads I added to the graduate pendant were purchased at Hobby Lobby.


*************************************

*Don't forget to click HERE to register for our giveaway!

7 comments:

  1. Hey I would not have thought it was so simple. Really lovely you should do so much with this technique! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great idea. We loved having you join us at "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the Weekend Wind Up! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and any excuse to my use E6000! You make this look so easy! Cannot wiat to try! New Follower!
    Jen @ F5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous project!!!
    Thank you for linking up, hope you will stop by my blog today and link up another great project...
    Claire xox
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! I love it!! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete