Friday, May 25, 2012

Birthday Banner Tutorial



I recently made a birthday banner for my niece, Addie.  (If you missed the post about her birthday, click HERE to see what a great time we had!) This banner is intended to be reused year after year throughout the birthday girl (or boy's) childhood.  Keep reading to see why!

Materials I used...
  • 12 x 12 chipboard, white on one side
  • 12 x 12 scrapbook papers in coordinating colors
  • letters to spell "Happy Birthday" and the name
  • sticky tabs or photo safe gluestick
  • screwdriver and hammer
  • block of wood
  • variety of ribbon in coordinating colors
  • Flowers in 3 different sizes and 1 button



I purchased these 12 x 12 chipboard sheets at a scrapbook store.  These are perfect because one side is the natural cardboard color (which we will cover) and the other side is a nice smooth white surface. The white side will be the back of the banner.

I searched my scrapbook paper collection for patterned papers in pinks and purples.  I didn't worry about them matching exactly - I like the variety. I chose paper that looked little girlish but also could be big girlish too for use in future years.

 Using my paper cutter, I cut the chipboard into 4 equal parts which would be 4 squares that are 6 x 6 inches each.  I also cut the paper into 6 x 6 inch squares as well. Then using acid free glue I glued the patterned papers to the chipboard squares.


 I then used my Cricut to cut out the lettering I wanted.  I used a solid color for the lettering so it would stand out and match well with the patterned papers.  I cut out the letters at the 4 1/2 inch setting.  The letters spelled "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADDIE."


Using the acid free glue stick I glued all the letters onto the squares.


My husband then laid each square on a block of wood and hammered a screwdriver into the top two corners of each square to make a hole for the ribbon.  (See his cast?  He broke his wrist but still did this for me! What a man!)


I then tied each square together with a ribbon. I used a variety of ribbons in coordinating colors.  Some of the ribbon was wide, some narrow.  Some of the ribbon had flowers, some had polka-dots, some stripes...etc.  I like the different ribbons with the different patterned paper.  It reminds me of a quilt.  Here it is...



I used an extra square to put between the Y in HAPPY and the B in BIRTHDAY to separate the words.  I layered on 3 different size flowers and used a glue dot to put a button in the middle of the flower.  In other birthday banners I have made, I have made this space a balloon or a cupcake.


 


 The back of the squares are then a nice white surface.  I did it this way with the plan to put a picture of the birthday girl on the back of each square for each birthday.  With the banner saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADDIE" and with the flower square in the middle, there are 19 squares. Photos can be collected for birthdays 1-19.  Won't that be fun to see a picture from each year all together on her 19th birthday?


This is the back of the banner and can be used like this...
  


 
*****************************************************************

Have you entered the giveaway?  We have a giveaway going on right now for a $20.00 shop credit to the Etsy shop, Miss Meliss Boutique.  Click HERE to see her products and sign up to win!

7 comments:

  1. This is soo sweet! I just adore all the cute patterns and colors you chose! Hope you stop by and join my under 300 followers blog hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/under-300-followers-blog-hop-3.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darn cute. My daughter is turning 2 this year and I have been on the hunt for great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower. I would love it if you came to visit me @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Have a wonderful week end.
    Rose @ A Rosie Sweet Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I'm your newest follower.

    I'd love it if you'd share at my Off the Hook link party!
    http://daisycottagedesigns.blogspot.com/search/label/Off%20the%20Hook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! We love it. We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty banner! The colors are great and your directions are super easy to follow :) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable. Thank you so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute!! My daughter is sitting on my lap as I type this and her birthday is on the 19th. She immediately said I want that for my birthday!!! So I guess I am going to be using your cute idea to make her one! Thanks so much for sharing this as well at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete