Thursday, June 21, 2012

American Flag Pallet Art

If you are on Pinterest, you've probably seen lots of projects lately that involve wood pallets. 
I sure have seen a lot!  And what a great idea to repurpose pallets.  They are cheap (or free) and easy to come by! With the 4th of July quickly approaching, I wanted to try the American flag art idea I have been seeing.  I put my own touch to it and I really like how it turned out!

Before

I started by telling my father that I wanted a pallet.  He thought I was nuts and with raised eyebrows, reluctantly agreed to deliver one to my house!

I began by using Krylon spray paints in red, white, and blue (of course!) I did not measure anything or draw lines or doing any prep work at all. (I'm sort of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal!)



I first painted the red stripes on the flag.  I gave it two coats of paint and loved how the rough, rustic look of the wood still shown through the paint.  After the red stripes, I added the blue section for the stars.  You can see the blue extends just beyond the second row of nails.  That was my way of measuring.


I then gave it two coats of white paint for the white stripes.


I used Plaid brand stencils that I got at Walmart to paint on little white stars all over the blue.
I added them randomly just here and there with some half on/half off the boards.


I put scrap paper underneath to protect what I wasn't intending to paint.

Recently someone dropped off a big box of these plastic letters to me in my classroom.  They have little pokey tacks on the back like thumb tacks!  I knew they'd be perfect for what I had in mind. 
I stuck the letters into styrofoam and spray painted them blue.



I then added the blue letters just by gently pushing the tacks into the pallet boards. 


 I am very pleased with how it turned out.  What a great Independence Day decoration for my porch!  My father was surprised and impressed with the transformation his old pallet took on!  I have already asked my dad to send over the next pallet.  I'm ready to try something new!

16 comments:

  1. Looks awesome--I love a big statement piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! The paint job is great, but the words you added are icing on the cake. I would love to have this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I just might have to do this with my old pallet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to do this very thing... but I saw one today on Pinterest. You have to jump on an idea the second you think of it. HA! I love your rendition best. I love your saying that you added. SUPER CUTE.

    winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I hope you'll add this to my Patriotic Project Parade going on now through July 4th!

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so pretty! What a creative way to make a flag! I am featuring this at todays link party! Whaoo!!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/06/thursdays-temptation-23-fabulous.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I just wanted to let you know I featured you in my Fourth of July Round up. Stop by and check it out and snag a featured button.

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love upcycling AND I love seeing what people create with pallets. This is so cool! Thank you for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is adorable!!!!! thanks for sharing! so so cute and creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the one nation under god part!!!! I am visiting from the Red, White and YOU party and thought I would say hi! I am a new follower! Hope you will stop by http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ and do the same.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your creativity. I would have never thought of that. Just stopping by to say HI! Found your blog via Red, White and You. I am following you now. Looking forward to reading your future post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your version! I have a version in the works also to sell at my farmer's market, but it has yet to be finished. Cute, cute, cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Honestly, it's making cute crafts and decorations seem doable and rewarding. It's perfect for the holiday.

    I'm following you from the follow fest! I'd love for you to stop by my blog and become my blog friend too!

    xo, Brooke

    liningthecloudswithsilver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i loveee this

    visit nichollvincent.blogspot.com

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lady! I just found your cute blog via the follow fest and I'm your newest adoring follower! I'd love to have you become my blog friend too! Also I’d love to have you check out a huge Shabby Apple Giveaway I’m having right now!

    Hope to see you there, and thanks so much!!
    Xo, Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/07/sponsored-giveaway-from-shabby-apple.html

    ReplyDelete