Thursday, July 5, 2012

Broken Crayon "Cupcakes"


I am a creative arts teacher (art and music) at an elementary school.  At the end of this past school year I had lots of broken crayons.  Rather than throw them out, I had some of my kids peel the paper away and throw them in a bucket. 



I took them home and got my daughter, Claire (3 1/2) to help me make mini "cupcakes" using the broken crayons.  Claire is always up for a project and anything that involves the word "cupcake" is a winner in her book.  Here are the directions...

First of all, get yourself a cute helper with crazy hair! You will also need an old mini muffin pan. Mine was very old and had been replaced long ago.  I, of course, hung onto to it anyway.


Cut the broken crayons into small pieces using a sharp knife and a cutting board.  (Use an old cutting board as the crayon will get ground into it and leave marks on it.)



 Put the crayon pieces into the muffin tin with a
variety of colors in each cup.





Ready for the oven!



Put them in a preheated oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes. 



Horse around a little while you wait!



Check on them periodically and remove when adequately melted.




Allow to cool in pan.  Then tip pan over and push on the middle of each muffin cup to pop each cupcake out.


Then color away!  The fun of it is the multi-colored marks these little cupcakes will make on the paper.  We made lots of these so we had a few to color with here at home and lots to take back to my classroom for my students this fall! A new art supply from repurposed crayons!  Love it!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my Linky Party Page to see where I'm linking up this week!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun project. And I love that you let your darling little one help! Thanks so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete