Thursday, September 20, 2012

Melted Crayon Art


There's nothing better than a new box of crayons! I love it! 
I had been seeing the melted crayon art all over Pinterest and, of course, had to give it a try myself. 
 

Materials Needed...
 
1 new white canvas (Hobby Lobby)
 
                                 1 new box of 96 Crayola crayons (mine were new but they don't have to be new)
 
Hot glue gun
 
Large piece of cardboard (to catch the drips)
 
Hair dryer
 
Painted wooden letters (optional)


 
The canvas size I used was 16 x 20 inches.
 
 
I began by lining up the crayons in the order in which I wanted to attach them to the canvas.
I went with the whole ROYGBIV - rainbow plan of reds, oranges, yellows, greens blues, indigos, and then violets. I chose to not use black, brown, gray, or white.  I did not use all 96 crayons - only 59.
When I had them in the order I wanted to place them in on the canvas, I used a hot glue gun and glued each into place lining the end of the crayon up with the very top of the canvas.
 

 
I then took the canvas out to our porch and laid the chunk of cardboard underneath it. 
I then turned the blow dryer on low on warm heat. I let the kids take turns slowly running the dryer back and forth in front of the crayons.

 
The crayons began to melt and drip down the canvas. The kids were amazed!

 



 
I think it turned out beautiful!
 
 
I then attached wooden red letters to the bottom right-hand corner to spell the word "ART."
I used the hot glue gun for the letters too. I chose the word "art" because I am an elementary creative arts teacher and I wanted to hang this in the art area of my classroom for decoration.

 

 
I love how it turned out.  So many of my students have commented on it and wanted to know how to do it. I explained the process to all my students and have already had two students make one at home!
 

2 comments:

  1. Your directions say, and first photo shows, to line the crayons up with the 'ends' touching the very top of the canvas. However, in the other photos it looks like the pointed 'tip' of the crayon is on the edge of the canvas. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo showing the crayons - I had lined the crayons up in the order I wanted them on the table next to the canvas - they weren't actually on the canvas yet at that point. Then glued them on in that same order but with the point of the craying pointing down the canvas. The entire length of the crayon is hot glued to the canvas with the tip pointing down and the other end flush to the top edge of the cancas. The tip is never on the edge. I apologize if I wasn't clear on that. Does this help?

    ReplyDelete