Sunday, September 16, 2012

Soup Sunday - Mom's Chili

My  mom's chili is the best chili I have ever had. My youngest sister, Julie, did not like "chili" when she was little so when mom made it she called it "hamburger soup" and scooped out more meat than veggies so Julie would eat it!

My husband absolutely loves this chili and says it is the best meal I make for him! It is a warm, cozy meal and a comfort food to me so I only make it in the cooler months - usually September through April. This was the first time I made it this fall. My husband was super excited! I made a huge pot of it to last for a couple days - that way we'd have enough to take to work in our lunches too!  This is one of those recipes that is even better the next day!

 
 
Ingredients
 
2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
1 large onion
2 large cans of tomato soup

2 16 ounce cans of dark red kidney beans
2 pint-sized jars of mom's canned tomatoes
2 large green peppers
chili powder
 
Directions
 
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients.  Add chili powder - as much as you would like. Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Yummy served with Saltine crackers!
 
Instead of the slow cooker, I have also combined all ingredients and cooked on the stove top until vegetables were to desired tenderness.  (I think a little crunch to them is a good thing!)
 
This is super easy, super fast and uses simple ingredients.  A pot of soup this big will last a couple days for our family of 5! Enjoy! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Just pinned it! I have to try it! One question, how are mom's canned tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete